01822 832 032

info@hygiene2health.co.uk

Suspended prison sentences for Torbay brothers’ poor gas work

An unregistered gas fitter and his brother illegally installed a gas boiler and left it in a dangerous condition.
Both brothers pleaded guilty to breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. And were sentenced to 10 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 2 years and also ordered to undertake 150 hours unpaid community work and ordered to pay costs of £496.60.
HSE Inspector Simon Jones, speaking after the hearing, said:
“Scott Butterworth was not competent or registered to work on gas appliances and this was clearly shown when his work left a gas installation which had a gas leak. It is extremely fortunate that there was not a gas explosion as a result of Scott Butterworth’s work.

You must always ensure that any contractor is competent to do the work required, with gas you should always check the gas safe register to ensure they are registered to do the work you have appointed them for. www.gassaferegister.co.uk